The FHNW is one of eight state-accredited universities of applied sciences in Switzerland. Its nine schools all meet federal requirements by offering:
- Degree-level programmes of study
- Continuing education (Diplomas of Advanced Studies, Certificates of Advanced Studies)
- Application-oriented research and development
- Services to third-parties
- Collaboration with other schools of higher education/research facilities in Switzerland and abroad
Higher-education experts in Switzerland and abroad have attested to the FHNW’s high degree of professionalism and quality by means of quality-assurance peer reviews.
The FHNW was formed from a merger in 2006 of diverse tertiary institutions long established throughout the northwestern region of Switzerland: three Universities of Applied Sciences (Aargau, Basel-Stadt and Basel-Landschaft, and Solothurn), the School of Education of Solothurn and the School of Education and Social Sciences of Basel-Stadt and Basel-Landschaft and the Academy of Music Basel. Switzerland’s Federal Council authorised the establishment of the FHNW in 2003 and approved all of its existing programmes of study.
University of Applied Sciences and Arts Northwestern Switzerland
T +41 56 462 49 11