Institute Humans in Complex Systems
Institute Human in complex Systems (MikS)
Increasing automation and other technological changes are leading to more complex living and working conditions. At MikS, we focus on individuals facing such complexity. We are centrally concerned with the designing of complex systems. The principal aims of our work are
- To promote the health of individuals affected by complexity
- To ensure the reliability of socio-technical systems
Our three core competencies:
- Our thematic competence is oriented towards the current state of research in health psychology as well as engineering and safety psychology. It is thus closely linked to the needs of practice and highly compatible with interdisciplinary work.
- MikS possesses expert research competence in a wide range of research methods in psychology and the social sciences, particularly in relation to the analysis, evaluation, and design of complex socio-technical systems. We also specialise in further developing existing methods through field-based projects.
- Our design competence comprises a wide range of design and change methods. Our expertise in this area enables us to implement scientific knowledge in interdisciplinary field projects and to further develop these methods to meet the needs of practice.
- MikS is a competence centre for the human-oriented analysis, evaluation, and design of complex socio-technical systems.
- MikS focuses on systems in which the use of technology presents the complex interplay between humans, technology, and organisational structures with ever-new challenges.
- Against this background, MikS provides knowledge and products suited to enhancing process reliability within complex systems. This safeguards and promotes both the safety, effectiveness, and efficiency of systems and also the health of those working in these systems.
- MikS activities are oriented towards the current findings of research in psychology. Our activities are characterised by a high level of practical orientation and interdisciplinary work.
- MikS services and further education programmes are designed to meet the needs of Swiss society and business through close cooperation with their respective institutions.
- MikS research is well positioned in the international sphere.