Skip to main content

Grants and Loans

There is no overarching grant system at the FHNW. Find further information about scholarship options here.

Students' cantons of residency are responsible for grants and interest-free loans. The amounts of the grants and loans and the likelihood of applications being accepted/rejected vary because of the varying cantonal criteria. Grant applications must be made in writing to the cantonal grant office (form available from there). Grants may also be given for periods of study abroad.

Student loans have to be repaid after completion of your studies, at favourable terms, grants do not.

Further financing possibilities for your studies besides cantonal grants include training allowances from the Swiss Federation or from trusts (generally these do not have to be repaid after completion of studies). In addition, there are some public or private institutions that provide funding in certain cases. The career guidance office can provide a useful overview.

There is no overarching grant system at the FHNW. For further information, please contact the individual schools.

The following links and grant calculators offer a basic idea of whether or not you can make a grant application:

Grant trusts

Schweizerische Studienstiftung

As a national institution for talent development, Schweizerische Studienstiftung identifies and supports the best students at bachelor's and master's level. The foundation supports excellent students whose personality, creativity and intellectual abilities suggest future accomplishments in science, business, culture and politics. The FHNW is a member of the development association of Schweizerische Studienstiftung and thus supports the development of excellent students at the University of Applied Sciences. If you are interested, please contact Schweizerische Studienstiftung.

Other general trusts