Skip to main content

Mobilität Incoming

General information

The School of Education FHNW is located in Brugg-Windisch, Muttenz and Solothurn. Follow the links for more information about Bachelor and Master Study Programmes (German) or the School of Education FHNW (studyinswitzerland+).

The School of Education is one of nine Schools of FHNW University of Applied Sciences and Arts Northwestern Switzerland

  • Factsheet FHNW School of Education (PDF)

Applying to study at the School of Education and as a guest in a Partner School

ERASMUS students follow the regular procedures via the International Office at their local university (Application Form, Learning Agreement, ECTS Transcript of Records). Students from universities with which the School of Education has a bilateral agreement do not pay tuition fees. The same goes for students from FHNW in a Partner School that has signed a bilateral agreement. Any additional costs (textbooks, excursions etc.) must be borne by the student. Registration takes place through the international coordinator of the local university. Overseas students with Swiss nationality qualify for Swiss subsidies. Other international or overseas students must bear the full tuition costs.

The Academic year at School of Education FHNW

Spring/ first semester: February - June
Winter / second semester: September  - December 

International deadlines

Autumn semester: Nomination May 31/ application July 1
Spring semester: Nomination Nov 15 / application Dec 1

Language requirements

The success of a study programme is closely related to the student's language competence. Since most modules at our School of Education are taught in German, sufficient skills are necessary in this language. We require level C1 for students who intend to enrol for a full-time programme and recommend at least a level B2 for exchange students according to the ALTE criteria.

Study fees

Exchange students within the ERASMUS programme or within a bilateral agreement of our university with a partner institution do not have to pay fees.


Incoming and Outgoing Erasmus+/SEMP students usually qualify for a grant of CHF 1'600 from the PH FHNW. Please contact the head of International Affairs PH FHNW to determine whether you qualify for a grant.

Applications for exchange semesters

Students must be enrolled at an FHNW School of Education’s partner university to apply for an exchange (and qualify for tuition fee waiver). Applications from partner universities are channelled through the International Coordinators at both institutions.

The application file includes:

  • application form
  • learning agreement
  • two passport photos
  • confirmation of insurance policies to cover health, accident and personal liability in Switzerland

Visa / permits

If you intend to study for a period exceeding three months or come as a trainee, you will need to get a visa or permit to reside in Switzerland. There are many countries with which Switzerland has bilateral contracts which simplify these procedures. Contact the Swiss Embassy in your country to inquire exactly which formalities you need to observe.


Since every resident in Switzerland must register at his community of residence, you will need your passport, passport photos and proof of your medical insurance and of your address. You have to de-register again prior to departure.


Swiss law requires that everyone staying in Switzerland for three months or more has medical insurance. Students should ensure they have Swiss medical coverage before they leave home (E128 card or the confirmation of health insurance in Switzerland / information sheet).
Students are also strongly advised to ensure they are covered for third party liability.

Introductory Welcome

All students will be welcomed at the commencement (opening) of the semester and introduced to their studies and life in Switzerland. They will be informed about the various processes and formalities, be given a tour of the university, receive computer accounts and meet with the Tutoring Group.

Diese Seite teilen: